I was sorting through my fabric, and I came across some scraps of this truck printed flannel. The little mister was with me, and his eyes lit up and he begged me to make him a hooded vest with it. I told him I would try, but there wasn’t enough material, so we found some navy flannel scraps as well.
I cut a basic vest shape on the fold for the back, and then traced it onto more navy for the front, adding a deep V. I cut the hood out of two pieces of the navy, and had a tiny piece left to make a facing for the front as well as line the pocket. I cut a pocket shape from the truck piece, as well as two hood pieces and had some scraps left that I stitched together to make a back facing. Since the back facing and the front facing aren’t the same, you can see a little in the arm holes, but it adds to the charm. I then cut some strips to make the bottom hem. Don’t look too close, there are four separate seams in it!
After assembling the vest, I tried it on little mister and the head hole was too small! So I had to snip the V neck and make it lower. It ended up looking seamless, so that was good!
After assembling the vest and the hood separate, I could not figure out how I wanted to attach them. At the last minute, little mister insisted that I put the truck print on the OUTSIDE instead of the inside as I planned, so I basted it on to see what it would look like and he liked it so much he put it on and hasn’t taken it off since. I will strengthen the stitches and sew the cuff back once he takes it off tonight. One thing I like about the way I ended up doing it (inverted from my original plan) is that the tiny seam of truck print almost looks like piping around the inside neck seam. It’s the little things that make me happy.
Today is cold and REALLY sunny, so the pictures are a bit less than stellar. But I think you can get the idea.
So after dinner, I went to stitch the navy cuff back onto the hood permanently, and he requested that I flip it inside so that more trucks showed. So I did. But then, I thought the V neck looked boring, and I had one more scrap of fabric to add some trim to tie in the neck.
But then, I remembered that children don’t hold still, and their clothes very rarely stay laying just the way that we wish, especially with such a wide neck opening, and with the new bias trim on the neck, the inside of the hood where it met the collar just wasn’t as beautiful as I would like it to be, and I knew it would ALWAYS show unless I did something.
So, I did.
The button is a bit fiesty, so I may end up switching it to velcro so he can do it himself. I can’t wait for him to try it on!
And today, Sunday, I got him to try it on after church. As I predicted, he didn’t hold still once!