So my baby sister was doodling one morning, and designed her perfect dress. I saw her sketch and immediately wanted to make it for her. I’ve been working on it, off and on, for the last couple months. Satin and lace are extremely persnickety to work with! And I have major difficult maintaining focus on a single project. Which is exactly why this sling purse is so amazing.
I had just finished the dress, and still had all the leftover scraps of satin and lace scattered about my sewing space.
I checked Project Run and Play’s website to see what this months challenge was, and lo and behold it was a sling bag.
At first I was stymied. And then suddenly I saw all that satin and lace and knew what I wanted to do!
I dove in with a pair of scissors and an idea. Now, my scraps were all willy nilly strange shapes and sizes, and I knew I wanted to make the bag purse sized. I also wanted the contrast panel to be curved to coordinate with the swirls on the dress. I also wanted less of a curve between the handles and the bag to make it more purse shaped.
So I cut out the side panels, and then used them to cut the same curve out of cream satin and a lace overlay.
Then I cut the lining pieces. I wanted the lining to be solid without the contrast panel, so I traced the shape of the outside and cut two pieces of satin for the lining. But oops, I made mirror images instead of identical. So I had to cut the strap off one and move it to the other side.
Now here is where I used the tutorial that Sugar Bee Crafts provided to assemble the purse. It was so easy! Well, except for the part where I accidentally sewed the interior and exterior together WRONG sides together instead of RIGHT sides.
It was a rough evening. I was tired. And somewhat stupid. But I was inspired, and I wanted to get this purse done. Usually I would have called it a night and come back to it in the morning, but not this time. Now, because Satin gets weak when you tear out stitches, I carefully trimmed inside the stitches, making it a tiny bit smaller but saving myself loads of work.
Then I assembled it properly. One problem I had was because of the smaller size, it would not turn through the strap like the instructions indicated. I literally tore out a seam trying! So I slit some stitches and flipped it through a hole in the top of the bag, and then had to topstitch to repair the hole.I only topstitched on the blue, though.
I then tried to follow the intructions on completing the strap, but the fabric was so slippery and lumpy it just looked messy, so I went with plan B. And I really like how it turned out.
I then added a snap to keep the purse closed since it liked to gap open.
And voila! It was complete.
I especially love how the bottom turned out.
After looking at it for a bit, I decided it needed one more touch of lace, so I added a little knot to one of the straps. I love the finished project, and I can’t wait to give it to little sis tomorrow!
In the meantime, here are some pictures of the dress on princess, with the purse. Bear in mind the dress is too big on her. Baby sis is 13, so the dress has a little padded bra built in. Princess thinks it is the funniest thing.
ETA: These are the photos from yesterday’s sneak peek.