This project started with the same pattern as the dress I finished for the princess last weekend. (Made from this pattern by Melanie from Crafty Cupboard). The only thing I changed was leaving out the elastic waist and the button placket because I used stretchy knit instead of woven fabric. I also gathered BOTH sides of the sleeves to make them super ruffly, per the princess’s request.
Inspired by the chevron print on the original top, I cut my striped fabric on the bias in order to mimic the shape of the chevron.
My printer ran out of paper, so the bottom half of the shirt I had to cut by eye. No problem. It turned out the perfect length.
I was working with scraps, so the pieces for the back wouldn’t fit on the bias, so I used the backside of the fabric (which is a lovely polka dot).
I made the yoke front and back from the opposite sides of the fabric as well.
Then I assembled it.
A few things to note- It ended up wider than I anticipated, so I had to pull in the front of the neckline so it wouldn’t sag. Turns out, the little pleats with the crochet flower are PERFECT. There was also a snag in the fabric where one of the other two flowers is located. So the flowers are beautiful decorations that serve a purpose. What a wonderful way to use up scraps and make the princess another wardrobe piece.
She says “It is one of the best things you’ve made me.” And I almost didn’t make it…
Close up of the yoke- I ended up using facing instead of a complete inner yoke because my fabric scraps were too small. The princess said it was uncomfortable, so I stitched the edges down on the inside, which created a nice third row of stitching around the neck.
Here you can see the hem and armhole trim. I just double rolled both hems instead of using bias trim or facing. The joy of knits!
And one last silly picture!