Newborn clothes with Fabric Manipulation

Okay, so I’ve never made newborn clothes, and I think I might never do it again!  Trying to make something to fit over those giant noggins without uncomfortable buttons or bows is HARD.  Perhaps a pattern would have helped, but always overestimating my abilities I dove in without a clue what I was doing.

First, I decided to try some fabric dye sticks.  I drew a design on some white jersey knit, but I didn’t like the swirls so I just cut out the star.  Already off to a crazy start.

IMG_1896

After that, I cut out a body suit shape based purely on what I thought would fit.  Ha!  I dug up one of my kids’ dolls, although he was too small.  Still, I used him for a bit of a model.  This was an absolute nightmare to make, and I am not in love with it.  I’m actually kind of embarrassed to give it to the friend I made it for.  What do you think?  This one does go on and off fairly easily, but it is also kind of short and wide.

IMG_1897 IMG_1898 IMG_1900

My daughter then found her more anatomically correct baby doll (he wears real baby clothes) so I tried it on him (yes, my daughter has boy dolls… probably because she has brothers in real life.)  The ruffle sleeves were my attempt to make it feminine.  I think it works.  Definitely not my favorite creation, but it is what it is.  And it is kind of cute.

IMG_1907

I made the star onesie as a “practice run” for the piece I really wanted to make my friend.  This whole thing started with a camo print handkerchief that I found in my stash.  I wanted to use the cuffs of the socks for arm bands, but beyond that, I didn’t have much of a plan.

IMG_1895

Rooting through my things, I found some fabric “stamps” that you use an iron to apply.  So I got excited about using this for the Project Run and Play project.

IMG_1901

But, being a couple decades old, it didn’t work.  So, ever the improviser, I used a pencil to tear through the paper and mark the deer onto my fabric.

IMG_1902

But, pencil isn’t permanent, so I had the idea to embroider it.  Why not put dark fabric on the other side, and embroider with white thread?  So, there you have it.

IMG_1904

Now, you see the finished edge?  I was originally going to make the side of the gown open.  In retrospect, I probably should have.  Anyway, these pieces were cut from a yellow bedsheet.  I love upcycyling.  It saves so much money!

I decided to go for an assymetrical hem. I love how that turned out.

IMG_1918

Then I made the sleeves.  The cuff can be left down if her arms are long, or rolled up for shorter arms.

IMG_1949IMG_1948

I made the head hole ENORMOUS, since dressing babies is SO hard, but I added elastic in the back.  I love the ruffle it forms.

IMG_1920

Since my friend’s baby isn’t born yet, these photos on my daughter’s doll will have to do.

IMG_1914 IMG_1927  IMG_1932 IMG_1940 IMG_1944

IMG_1932

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Newborn clothes with Fabric Manipulation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s