Dollie and Me

auction dress-1

This project was inspired by the Heirloom Tinkerbell dress by Sewing Mama RaeAnna

Basically I saw the bloomers and needed an excuse to make some.  I didn’t use her pattern (which you can download by going to her blog, hyperlinked above) but the dress I cut is pretty similar.  The width of the skirt was the width of my fabric, and I cut the bodice about a size 8/9 with plenty of leeway to cinch it down to about a size 4.  It will be donated to a silent auction, and then the buttons will be placed for a custom fit.

I chose to line it fully with no visible top stitching.  The only visible stitching is inside at the bodice/skirt connection.

auction dress-6

auction dress-12

The bloomers were just drafted using an existing pair of size 8 leggings cut to below the knee and then ruffles were added to hang just below the skirt hemline.  The waistband is encased elastic, and the ruffle seams are encased in 1″ fold over elastic to prevent itching.

auction dress-17

I made the doll dress next, and then messed around with scraps to create the bonnet.

It took a few unsuccessful attempts, but I finally sized the bonnet up appropriately.  It has elastic in the back for a good fit, and the interior seam is bound in bias trim to prevent fraying.

And here is my lovely model with her doll.  This dress fits an American Girl doll best, but it works on this doll as well as a 15″ doll and a teddy bear.  It is pretty versatile.

And here is another model with her AG doll, wearing one of the failed bonnet attempts…




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s